Habitat for Humanity is seeking to rapidly expand its activities and impact to fight poverty across the world. This means that the organisation must be adaptable and have an ambitious, dynamic and flexible staff team.
It’s an incredibly exciting time to be joining a small but ambitious team!
Job Tittle: Senior Accountant
Reports to: National Director
Supervises: Finance Officer and Office Administrator
Location: National Office
Job Summary: The purpose of this position is to offer Financial administration management services to the organization. S/he ensures timely and accurate Financial reports to the Board, management and external stakeholders, maintains adequate internal controls environment, ensures effective procurement, Grant Management, Cashflow projections; budget preparation and management services, Payroll administration services and managing relationships with key stakeholders including the Bank; Internal and External Auditors. The Senior Accountant is part of the Senior Management team.
Key functions of the position:
- Financial Management: Directly manage the Finance Officer to ensure financial transactions are supported by adequate documentation and review the financial transactions to ensure they are recorded in line with both generally accepted accounting principles and fund accounting procedures. Produce and analyze timely and accurate “Actual vs. Budget” financial statements direct from Office’s financial database. Produce monthly management accounts and monitoring for performance and efficiency. Analyze office’s financial data on a monthly basis; track key indicators and timeliness. Provide written or verbal analysis to key stakeholders, management, the Board and the Area Office and HFHI as required. Manage the Banking relationships.
- Maintain a strong Internal Control environment: Promote a shared culture and ownership of maintaining strong internal controls and financial management policies throughout the organization. Directly manage the development, documentation, implementation, and monitoring of internal control processes that are in line with existing finance policies, minimizing loss of organization’s assets. Promote a culture of strong internal controls throughout the organization.
- Fundraising and Grants Management: Prepare budget for all project proposals in collaboration with the Resource Development and Program Departments. Ensure financial transactions are in compliance with Donor rules and regulations. Prepare and analyze financial reports for Donors and internal stakeholders.
- Annual Planning and Budgeting: Collaborate with the Senior management team to develop the annual plan and budget. Ensure that all required information is timely submitted to Area Office and Board.
- Cash Flow Management: Monitoring of the organization’s cash flow and submitting timely International Transfer Requests (ITR) to HFHI EMEA Office as needed and appropriate.
- Payroll Administration: Oversee the management of the payroll, ensuring timely and accurate payroll processing, including deductions and remittances in line of the country’s statutory laws and policies.
- Tax and compliance management and administration: Ensure that the organization at all times remains complaint to all relevant laws and regulations by constantly monitoring the legal and regulatory environment and ensuring adherence to the same.
- Audit: Prepare for all audits (internal and external) and ensure timely implementation of all audit recommendations.
- Procurement: Have managerial oversight over the procurement process in ensuring that all procurement for the organization meet the standards of prudence, cost, accountability and fairness.
- Office Administration: Directly manage the Office Administrator to ensure that other departments are supported adequately in relation to procurement processes, vehicles and Fuel monitoring, office cleaning, Fixed assets and stores maintenance and petty cash disbursements.
- Sits on Finance and Administration Board Sub-Committee as an ex-officio member. Advise the Board of Directors and Management on potential financial risks and mitigation measures.
- Perform any other tasks as required by the National Director.
Key Performance Indicators/ measures
- Habitat Lesotho receives a minimum of a fair financial indicator.
- Internal and external audit reports are not qualified; effectively and timely address issues arising from the audits.
- Financial reports are timely and effectively prepared and submitted to management, Board and Donors.
- A strong internal controls environment is maintained within HFHL.
- Procurement is conducted in a fair, transparent and cost effective manner.
- Annual and Project Donor Budgets are timely prepared/submitted and incorporate all the project expenses including cost share.
- Ensure regular formal and informal meetings to understand and solve the bottlenecks faced by the finance team and other departments as well as to communicate expectations and new developments to Habitat Lesotho’s Finance Department, are conducted.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Abilities and Skills required
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting or related field,
- At least 5 years’ experience as a Middle manager in a similar size NGO or company including professional responsibilities if accounting, budgeting and fiscal management
- Knowledge of Lesotho financial and tax regulations, especially those pertaining to non-governmental or not-for-profit organizations
- Previous experience managing grants or contracts with external funding agencies, such as the EU, USAID, AUSAID, etc. is an advantage
- Ability to train and supervise other financial staff on computer packages and other financial management.
- Self-motivation with keen interest in detail and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to think strategically “outside the box”.
- Ability to work under a deadline and/or pressure.
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial and systems support requirements, and provide consultations and recommendations to management.
- Manage office premises including insurance of HFH Lesotho’s assets.
- Computer literate and familiar with accounting packages on market, Sun System highly preferred but not required. Microsoft Word and Excel abilities are required. Microsoft Access abilities preferred but not required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Willing to uphold Christian principles and safe guarding policy of HFH Lesotho.
- High level of integrity combined with ability to make bold and timely decisions.
Potential candidates for both must submit electronic copies of their applications accompanied by detailed CVs to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hand deliver hard copies to the following address:
Habitat for Humanity Lesotho
Alliance Park , Unit 1, First Floor, 4 Bowker Road,
Submission deadline is Monday 28th February,2022
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Interested in volunteering abroad with us?
Visit our Get Involved page to find out more about our overseas volunteering opportunities.